Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- 12 muffins (1 per serving)
- Note: Wild rice adds crunchy texture and a nutritional boost to these hearty muffins.
- ½ cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat rice, water, and ½ teaspoon salt to boiling in small saucepan; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 45 to 50 mins. Drain, if necessary, and cool.
- Mix milk, margarine, egg, egg whites, and rice.
- Add combined all-purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and remaining ½ teaspoon salt, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until muffins are browned, 20 to 25 mins.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Nutritional Information Edit
Per Serving (1 muffin):
- Cals: 136
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Chol: 18.1 g
- Sod: 494 mg
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Carb: 19.4 g
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 Bread, 1/2 Fat