36 cookies. 2 hours preparation.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To remove skins from hazelnuts, spread in single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until toasted and skins begin to flake off; let cool slightly.
- Wrap hazelnuts in heavy kitchen towel; rub against towel to remove as much of the skins as possible.
- Place hazelnuts in food processor.
- Process using on/off pulsing action until hazelnuts are ground but not pasty.
- Combine flour and salt in small bowl.
- Beat powdered sugar and butter in medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla gradually add flour mixture * beat in ground hazelnuts at low speed until well blended.
- Place dough on sheet of waxed paper.
- Using waxed paper to hold dough, roll back and forth to form log 12 inches long and 2½ inches wide.
- Wrap log in plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or up to 48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F cut dough into ¼-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned.
- Let cookies stand on cookie sheets 1 minute.
- Remove cookies to wire racks-cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips in 2-cup glass measure.
- Microwave at high 1 to 1½ minutes or until melted, stirring after 1 minute and at 30-second intervals after first minute.
- Dip cookies into chocolate coating about ½ of each cookie.
- Transfer cookies to waxed paper; let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until set.