Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 (3-ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup cooking oil
- ½ cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mashed strawberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ cup mashed strawberries
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- ½ cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F .
- Grease and flour two 10-inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix with gelatin.
- Add cooking oil and milk, beating at low speed.
- Add eggs separately, beating after each addition.
- Blend in strawberries, pecans, and coconut.
- Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Frost cake with strawberry icing.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries.
- Cream sugar and butter together.
- Add strawberries, pecans, and coconut.
- Mix well.