- 3 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- ¾ stick (6 TBS) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan, knocking out excess flour.
- In a heavy 1½ quart saucepan, melt bittersweet and unsweetened chocolates and butter over low heat, stirring until smooth, and remove pan from heat. Cool mixture to lukewarm and whisk in sugar and vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, whisking until mixture is glossy and smooth. Stir in salt and flour just until combined and stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and bake in middle of oven 25 to 30 minutes, or until a tester comes out with crumbs adhering to it. Do not over bake.
- Cool brownies completely in pan on a rack before cutting into 16 squares.
- Jersey Fresh Recipes, public domain government resource, recipe contributed by Amy Dye—original source of recipe