Makes 12 servings.
- 1⅓ cups cake flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (10.5 ounce) package Mori-Nu silken lite tofu (extra-firm)
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar or sucanat
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Grease bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with vegetable shortening.
- Place wax paper on greased pan bottom and grease top of paper.
- In food processor, blend dry ingredients.
- Empty into small bowl; set aside.
- Do not clean work bowl.
- Replace work bowl; process wet ingredients (except cocoa) until smooth and sugar/sucanat is dissolved.
- Add cocoa; process until smooth.
- Add dry mixture all at once.
- Pulse to blend just until all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until brownies spring back when touched lightly in center.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before turning out on cooling rack.
- Cool completely.