Makes 1 double crust or 2 single crusts, or 12 tart shells.
- Sift the flour and salt together into a bowl.
- Cut margarine into small chunks and drop over the mixture.
- Cut into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 butter knives.
- It should have the texture of coarse cornmeal.
- Gradually sprinkle with the cold water and stir and lift with a fork until evenly moistened.
- Use only enough water to mix it into a dough.
- Form into a large ball with your hands.
- Roll out ½ the dough for the bottom crust and reserve the other half for a top crust or for future one-crust pies.
- Bake as directed in whatever recipe you are using.