Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Expand your baking repertoire and experiment with this sour cherry strudel. A tender, flaky crust envelops tart cherries, making for a strudel experience like no other.
- Cherry filling:
- 3 pounds sour cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Cheese filling:
- 2 pounds ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar (granulated or brown)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 egg whites
- 1 package phyllo dough
- 2 cups unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
1. In a large saucepan, combine cherries, sugar, and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-low heat for 30-60 minutes.
2. After cherries have cooled, strain cherries from juice and set aside. Discard any excess liquid.
3. Combine all ingredients for cheese filling in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. On waxed paper, spread out a few sheets of phyllo dough and brush with melted butter. Top the dough with a thin coating of cheese filling and then add cherry filling. Top with bread crumbs and nuts. Repeat the process until you have created 3-4 layers of dough and topping.
6. Roll up the strudel and place on a cookie sheet. Brush a thin coat of melted butter on top of strudel and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
7. Remove strudel from oven and allow to cool before serving.