Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 12 servings
Enjoy these muffins with your morning coffee or as an anytime snack!
- 1 can pitted red sour cherries
- 2 c. sifted all purpose flour
- 3 tsp. double acting baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1. Drain cherries and pat them dry on paper towel.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Beat 1 egg with milk and add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is slightly blended.
3. Stir grated lemon rind and lemon juice into melted butter; mix these ingredients into the flour mixture.
4. Mix cherries with 1 tablespoon flour. Make sure cherries are sufficiently covered with flour before folding into batter.
5. Divide batter evenly among 12 well greased muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until muffins are golden and puffy.
6. Serve with butter or sour cream (optional).