- 7 cups fresh rhubarb, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 8-oz can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbs. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- ⅔ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tbs. chopped crystallized ginger
- ⅓ cup butter/margarine
- Drain pineapple and combine with rhubarb and brown sugar.
- Let stand 1 hour.
- Drain mixture, reserving juices and adding enough additional water to make ⅔ cup of juice.
- Combine juices and cornstarch in a small pan and cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and combine with rhubarb-pineapple mixture.
- Add lemon peel and place in a 2-quart baking dish.
- In another bowl, combine topping ingredients, using a pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Spoon over top of fruit mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven about one hour or until light brown and bubbly.
- Best served with vanilla ice cream!.