Makes 8 servings
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk, divided
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 x 20-ounce can crushed pineapple (drain; reserve juice)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Combine rice, 2½ cups milk, ⅓ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon butter and salt in 2-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 20 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and remaining ½ cup milk together; add to rice mixture and cook an additional minute.
- Remove from heat and add pineapple and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat egg whites and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until peaks are stiff but not dry.
- Fold into cooled rice and turn into buttered 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake at 325°F 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine reserved juice with cornstarch in 1-quart saucepan.
- Stir to dissolve cornstarch.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, brown sugar and ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until clear and thickened.
- Add remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla.
- Spoon over warm or chilled pudding.