A delightful holiday or any occasion dessert that is exotic and tasty with those warm Pears and the pomegranate seeds (full of antioxidants!).
- Peel, core, and dice pears.
- Place large, heavy saucepan over high heat until very hot.
- Melt butter and add pears.
- Cook 2 minutes more and stir again.
- Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt over pears.
- Allow sugar to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Bring mixture to boil, then remove from heat.
- Strain liquid from pears.
- Cook liquid over medium-high heat, stirring often, until volume is reduced to about ½ cup (will have very syrupy consistency).
- Return pears to saucepan, stir to blend, stir in pomegranate seeds.
- Cool completely.
- Filling can be made up to 1 week ahead and stored in the refrigerator until needed.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place 1 sheet phyllo on dry, flat surface.
- Brush with melted butter, top with next sheet, repeat with a total of 4 sheets.
- Return remaining sheets to refrigerator, wrapped in plastic.
- Cut pastry in quarters.
- Work with ¼ at a time, leaving others under slightly damp cloth.
- Place ⅓ cup filling in center of pastry and form into a square.
- Wrap like a package, folding in sides and brushing with melted butter to secure.
- Place seam side down on heavy aluminum cookie sheet, brush liberally with butter, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Continue making packages until you have used all filling.
- Packages can be assembled a day ahead; brush with butter, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
- Bake in preheated oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Garnish: transfer to work surface.
- Dust each package with powdered sugar and decorate with gel to resemble a present.
- Sprinkle serving plate lightly with colored sugars, then top with decorated package.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.