- 1 lbs sugar
- 6 egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ea lemon, juice of
- 1 lbs butter
- ¾ lbs flour
- ½ lbs currants
- 1 ea lemon, rind of
- Mix the currants with some of the flour.
- Work butter and sugar together to a smooth cream, then slowly work in whole eggs one at a time.
- Add a little of the flour, rind and juice of the lemon and salt.
- Work in slowly the rest of the flour and the currants.
- Drop by spoonfuls on large buttered pans, pressing flat with a knife as the cakes are better when very thin.
- A good plan is to heat the pan a bit and allow the cakes to melt as much as possible before putting them in the oven to bake.
- Be sure to butter the pans thoroughly; otherwise, the thin cakes will be difficult to remove.