Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan. Makes 4 dozen.
- ½ cup margarine
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2½ cups wholewheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine first four ingredients in a pot.
- Heat slowly, stirring till the mixture resembles a syrup.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour with baking powder and spices.
- Pour in chocolate syrup and work into a stiff batter.
- Add almonds and raisins.
- Form into balls no larger than 1-inch and arrange on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.