- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup milk
- fresh strawberries and mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (16-ounce) carton sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Sift flour with baking powder.
- In large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add sugar gradually, beating to form stiff peaks.
- Add yolks, 1 at a time.
- Slowly add flour and milk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until edges are golden brown, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
- Prepare topping.
- Pour topping over cake and let sit until all the mixture is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare meringue and refrigerate.
- Before serving, cut cake into squares and spread meringue over each.
- Garnish as desired with fresh berries and mint leaves.