- Recipe From: Alton Brown, 2006 with nutrition being found from the same recipe posted to Allrecipes.com
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 Hour 10 min
- Yield: 4½ Dozen
- User Rating: 5 Stars
- Contributed by Gloria at Healthy Recipes For diabetic Friends Y-Group
- 9½ oz whole-wheat pastry flour, approximately 2 cups 
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 8 oz sugar, approximately 1 cup 
- 6 oz unsalted butter, room temperature, approximately ¾ cup
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups lentil purée (Recipe follows)
- 3½ oz rolled oats, approximately 1 cup
- 4 oz dried fruit, approximately 1 cup
- 2¼ oz unsweetened dried shredded coconut, approximately 1 cup
Lentil purée Edit
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt,cinnamon and allspice.
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer with a whisk attachment, cream together the sugar and butter on medium speed.
- Add the egg and mix until just incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and lentil purée and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and blend on Low Speed Until Just combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the oats, dried fruit and coconut.
- Form the dough into balls about 2 teaspoons in size and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving about 1-inch of room in between.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 195 °F is reached on an instant-read thermometer.
Lentil purée Edit
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine the lentils and the water.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat and purée.
- If ising immediately, let cool.
- The purée may be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
Yield: 1½ cups lentil purée
Nutritional information Edit
Nutrition calculated for 1 Serving (25g). Recipe makes 54 Servings
- 68 Calories, 31 Calories from Fat 31, 3.5g Total Fat,
- 2.3g Saturated Fat, 0.2g Polyunsaturated Fat,
- 0.7g Monounsaturated Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 10mg Cholesterol,
- 52mg Sodium, 43mg Potassium, 8.5g Total Carbs,
- 1.3g Dietary Fiber, 4.4g Sugars, 1.3g Protein