Bread Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 5 cups plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lb butter
- lb sharp cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- tabasco sauce and/or paprika — optional addition to batter
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolk.
- Gradually add flour and cheese, alternating.
- Mix like dough.
- Roll in ball and pinch off in hand.
- Flatten and place close together on greased sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 8–10 minutes.
- Roll in sugar while still warm.