- 4 puff pastry shells
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1¼ lbs rhubarb, trimmed, washed, and chopped
- 2 tsp orange zest, grated
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- Bake puff pastry shells according to package directions.
- Combine water and sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high.
- When syrup begins to boil stir in remaining ingredients, except ice cream.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 – 25 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Transfer rhubarb to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Increase heat to high and boil syrup 10 minutes or until syrup is reduced by ⅓.
- Pour syrup over rhubarb.
- Just before serving, spoon fruit mixture into baked puff pastry shells and top with ice cream.