These are excellent biscotti's made with whole wheat flour and various fruits. Makes a great snack or breakfast snack. These are another must at my house during the holidays. Makes a great gift.
- ⅔ cup walnuts
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¾ cup chopped dates or dried apricots or dried fruit
- Place nuts in a shallow pan and bake 325°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, let cool.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- In bowl combine flour,baking powder,salt and spices.
- Add to creamed mixture, mix well.
- Add chopped nuts.
- Fold in fruit.
- Make into loaves ½ inch high and 2 inches wide.
- Bake in 325°F oven for 25 minutes or light brown.
- Cool 5 minutes,with a serrated knife slice diagonally at 45 degree angle about ½ inch thick.
- Lay slices on side, bake 10 minutes or longer to dry slightly.
- Let cool on rack.
- Store in a tightly covered container.