These gloriously dense, fudge-like brownies make a perfect dessert for large, informal gatherings. They are cut into bars rather than the more familiar squares. Makes 36 servings.
- 8 oz unsweetened chocolate, preferably valrhona, chopped
- 1 cup (8 oz) unsalted butter, cut up
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 3 tbsp instant coffee crystals
- 4 cups sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, roasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 18 by 12-inch sheet cake pan with aluminum foil.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in a double boiler over simmering water.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the eggs, vanilla, almond extract, and instant coffee.
- Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and mix thoroughly.
- Add melted chocolate and butter mixture.
- Fold in roasted peanuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until firm but still chewy and moist inside, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan, then turn out onto a second baking sheet lined with plastic wrap.
- Peel off foil.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut lengthwise into 3 equal rectangles, then cut each rectangle into twelve 1½ inch wide bars.