In Romanian: Pasca cu ciocolata
Sweet bread dough Edit
- 2 lbs / 1 kg flour
- 10 oz / 300 g sugar
- 1½ cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 2 oz / 50 g yeast
- 7 oz / 200 g butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- vanilla stick
- 5 eggs
- 5 oz / 150 g confectioner's sugar
- a little vanilla
- 3 tablespoons grated chocolate melted in a tablespoon of warm milk
Sweet bread dough Edit
- Make a starter from yeast and a teaspoon of sugar.
- Mix until the consistency of sour cream, add 2 – 3 tablespoons tepid milk, a little flour and mix well; sprinkle some flour on top, cover and let sit in a warm place to rise.
- Boil the milk with the vanilla stick (cut in very small pieces) and leave it on the side of the range, covered, to keep warm.
- Mix the yolks with the sugar and salt, then slowly pour the tepid milk, stirring continuously.
- Place the risen starter in a large bowl and pour, stirring continuously, the yolk-milk mixture and some flour, a little at a time.
- Then add 3 whipped egg whites. When you finish this step, start kneading.
- Knead, adding melted butter combined with oil, a little at a time, until the dough starts to easily come off your palms.
- Cover with a cloth and then something thicker (like a blanket).
- Leave in a warm place to triple in bulk.
- If during kneading the dough seems too hard, you may add a little milk.
- If, on the contrary, the dough seems too soft, you may add a little flour.
- When the dough has risen well, take a piece of it, place on the floured work surface, give it the desired shape (round, oval, braided, etc.) and place in the baking pan previously greased with butter.
- Let rise some more in the pan in a warm place.
- Beat the yolks with the sugar, add the vanilla and the melted chocolate.
- Mix well and add the whipped egg whites at the end.
- Roll a pencil thick sheet out of the sweet bread dough. Place in a baking pan.
- From another piece of dough form a long, finger thick roll and arrange it around the sheet, sticking to the walls of the pan.
- Place the filling within, without covering the roll on the edges.
- Make two more such dough rolls and place them over the filling in an X shape.
- After the cake has risen a bit in a warm place, use a little egg wash over the dough rolls.
- Set in the oven to bake. Remove from the pan when it is cold.