- 1 spongecake 9 x 13 in.
- ½ can "Coco Lopez" or coconut milk
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- Prepare the cream:.
- In a saucepan mix the 2 cans evaporated milk, egg yolks, cornstarch, and the sugar and let boil.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the spongecake in 1 inch slices and arrange a layer in the bottom of a pyrex dish.
- Moisten the spongecake with the coconut milk or Coco Lopez.
- Pour half the cream and cover with another layer of spongecake.
- Moisten again with the rest of the coconut milk or Coco Lopez.
- Pour the rest of the cream.
- Repeat until you finish with some spongecake.
- Prepare an Italian meringue with the egg whites and 2 cups sugar.
- Cover the cake with the meringue and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- If you like, decorate the cake with shredded coconut.