Yield: 45 cookies.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar (I use 1 cup for a less sweet cookie, because you sprinkle the tops with sugar)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- additional sugar for sprinkling tops
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter in mixing bowl on medium speed for 1 minute till light, add sugar and lemon extract, beating till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and lemon zest and beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add to beaten mixture alternating with buttermilk.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes or till lightly browned on edges.