- 3 cups of all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl mix the butter, Sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until it is all well combined. Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Divide dough into four parts and refrigerate until ready to use. Meanwhile, make the Filling: In a small saucepan combine the dates and Sugar with 1/2 cup of water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture has thickened - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon juice and walnuts. Cool completely.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough, one part at a time, 1/8 inch thick. With a floured 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter (or the bottom of a glass), cut out cookies. Re-roll trimmings and cut. Using a spatula, place half of the cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Spread 1 teaspoon of filling over each cookie. Cover with another cookie. With a floured fork, seal the edges firmly. Also, prick the center of the cookie once with the fork.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack, cool and enjoy!