- 2¼ cup flour, all-purpose (reserve 2 tablespoons)
- ⅓ cup + 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp orange peel, grated
- 2¼ tsp baking powder, double-acting
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup margarine, reduce-calorie
- 1 cup cranberries, coarse chopped
- ¼ cup currants
- ½ cup buttermilk, skim
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Using a fork, in large bowl combine flour, sugar, orange peel, baking powder, and baking soda.
- With pastry blender, cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cranberries and currants; stir to combine.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla to flour mixture and stir to combine (mixture will be dry).
- Form dough into 2 equal balls.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle clean work surface with 1 tablespoon reserved flour.
- On floured surface, using fingertips, work one-half of dough into 6-inch circle, about ½-inch thick.
- Cut circle into 6 equal wedges; place wedges on nonstick baking sheet, leaving a space of about 1 inch between each.
- Repeat procedure, using remaining flour and dough.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove scones to wire rack and let cool.
Nutritional information Edit
Each serving provides: 1 fat 1 bread ¼ fruit 35 optional per serving: 190 mg sodium 0 mg cholesterol