Makes 12 scones
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks(6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 heaping cup fresh or frozen cranberries (5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1/8 teaspoon each cinnamon, allspice and mace, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a 15-by-12-inch baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, the 1/2 cup of sugar; the orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 1Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the cranberries and dates and toss.
- Stir in the buttermilk until a stiff dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently just until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half and pat each piece into a 7-inch round about 3/4-inch thick. #Sprinkle the tops with the spiced-sugar mixture.
- Using a knife, cut each round into 6 wedges. Arrange the wedges 1/2 inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.