Apple layer Edit
- 3 eggs , separated
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp lemon zest , grated fine
- ¾ cup matzoh cake meal
- ⅓ cup oil
- pinch salt
- Toss apples with sugar and cinnamon.
- Set apples and apricots aside.
- Om bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, matzoh meal and oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with pinch of salt until stiff and glossy.
- Loosen batter with generous dollop of egg whites, then fold remaining egg whites into batter.
- Spoon half of batter into greased 9 inch spring-form pan.
- Arrange apples on top.
- Dot with minced apricot and cover with remaining batter.
- Batter will be thick and sticky; don"t worry about spreading it evenly.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes at 350°F.