Your most blasé guests' taste buds will tingle when they sample your Christmas Cookie Kringle
- Recipe by Miles Kimball
- 3 hard-boiled egg yolks
- 4 tbsp shortening
- 2 cup flour
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp grated lemon rind
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp grated orange rind
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Through a strainer the hard-boiled eggs you force, using the back of a spoon, of course, then combine with the raw egg yolks that's how it's done by the German folk.
- Work in the sugar, the butter, the shortening and when it's combined, add the flour, cinnamon, vanilla and all of the rind: now into a ball you roll the dough, and chill it and roll it to and fro.
- When it's ⅛ inch thick you cut it out neat, use a doughnut cutter and a cookie sheet: now paint each cookie with unbeaten egg white and sprinkle with pistachios to add to the delight.
- At 350°F, 8–10 minutes you bake.
- And you'll be proud of the kringle you make.