Makes about 4 dozen bars.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp powdered instant coffee (optional)
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups chopped walnuts, divided
Chocolate filling Edit
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- ⅔ cup Hershey's cocoa
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until well blended.
- Add eggs, vanilla and instant coffee, if desired; beat until fluffy.
- Stir together oats, flour, baking soda, salt and 1 cup walnuts; gradually stir into butter mixture with spoon.
- Set aside 2 cups dough.
- Press remaining dough evenly onto bottom of ungreased 15½x10½x1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Prepare chocolate filling; spread evenly over dough.
- Crumble reserved dough evenly over filling.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup walnuts.
- Bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown (chocolate will be soft).
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars.