Mmmm, I love Turtles! This cake is kind of an upside down Turtles cake (since the pecans are on the top). I made this for my cousin Kathy's birthday, because she is fond of caramel. Top it off with a scoop of caramel swirl ice cream.
Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared. — Eddie Rickenbacker
- Contributed by [catsrecipes/ e: [catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 package (14 oz) caramels (about 75)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (Eagle brand, 300 ml)
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup butter
- 4 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Unwrap caramels and combine in a saucepan with sweetened condensed milk and butter.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate together, either on the stove or in the microwave.
- Add the water, sugar, eggs, flour, salt, baking soda and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread half of the cake batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the centre is set.
- Remove from oven.
- Spread filling evenly over the cake.
- Spread the remaining cake batter over the filling.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the top.
- Return to the oven and bake 40 minutes, until cake springs back when touched.
- Cool completely before cutting.