- Makes a 10 inch cake.
- Source: USDA
- 4 ounces sweetened chocolate
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅔ cup butter, or shortening or margarine
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup sour milk (Use 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice with enough sweet milk to make ⅔ cup. Let mixture stand 5 minutes before using in recipe)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup baking cocoa
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon water, approximate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Melt chocolate in the water. Cool. Mix butter (or margarine or shortening) until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla and the chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake surface springs back when touched lightly. Cool 10 minutes in pan on rack. Remove from pan and complete cooling on rack.
- Mix powdered sugar and cocoa together until well blended. Add butter or margarine and beat well. Add enough water to obtain a good spreading consistency.
- Spread glaze over cooled cake allowing some of the glaze to drizzle down the side of the cake.