These almost fatless biscotti style cookies are idea for dipping in your tea.
- 1 cup chopped cherries
- 1 cup pistachios
- ⅓ cup rum
- 4 egg whites and 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbs orange zest
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 1¾ plain flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup un-processed wheat bran
- In a saucepan simmer cherries and rum over medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stir and cover to let set for 10 minutes, uncover and cool for 10 minutes.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Stir in wheat bran.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites, egg, orange zest, vanilla and almond extracts until smooth.
- whisk in cherry and rum mixture.
- Stir in dry ingredients until well combined.
- Turn dough onto floured work surface and divide in half.
- Flour each half and shape to a log.
- Place logs onto baking sheet and bake until light brown and puffed approx. 20 minutes.
- Cool 10 min. or up to several hours.
- Transfer logs to work surface and cut into biscotti style pieces.
- Put back in oven for 12 minutes. turn and brown on both sides 6 minutes. each.
- Let cool and store in container or serve warm.