Cherries, Canned by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 12
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup canned tart cherries (drained)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup melted margarine
- 1 cup low fat milk
- Place muffin paper cups in ungreased muffin tins.
- Sift dry ingredients together in large bowl. Add cherries to dry mix and mix until well coated.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs well. Add melted margarine and milk. Quickly stir liquid mixture into dry mix. Do not overmix, as overblending will cause a tough texture.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full, and sprinkle each muffin lightly with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon-sugar topping.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes until nicely browned.