Please warn everyone that the pits are still in the cherries when you serve this! The pits give added flavor to the tart, and it also makes the dish very easy to prepare. If you left out the kirsch, the clafoutis is also delicious at breakfast or brunch, or as a healthy snack for kids.
- Submitted by: Tracy Anne Hart
- 1¼ lbs ripe, firm cherries
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 extra-large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1¾ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp cherry brandy(kirsch) or vanilla extract. either is optional
- Wash the cherries and let them drain dry. Remove the stems, but do not remove the pits.
- Spread the cherries over the bottom of an 11-inch French tart pan.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, using a wire whisk or a hand beater, blend the flour with the eggs and the salt.
- Add the milk slowly and beat until light.
- Add most of the Sugar, reserving a few tablespoons. You will have a light batter.
- Add 1 teaspoon kirsch or vanilla extract, if desired.
- Pour the batter over the cherries in the tart pan, and carefully place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the tart is golden and puffy. About half-way through the baking time, sprinkle the remaining Sugar over the top of the tart.
- Let the baked cherry Clafouti tart cool on a rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.