- Makes about 16 brownies.
- ½ cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp almond extract or 2 tablespoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Hershey's cocoa
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup chopped slivered almonds
- additional maraschino cherries, halved (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 9-inch square baking pan.
- Lightly press cherries between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In small bowl, beat butter, sugar and eggs until creamy.
- Mix in corn syrup, almond extract and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; add to butter mixture, mixing until well blended.
- Stir in cherries and almonds; pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Frost, if desired.
- Cut into squares.
- Garnish with additional cherries, if desired.