For a special dessert serve warm 3-inch square bars topped with whipped cream and additional chopped pistachios.
- ½ lb butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup raspberry or strawberry jam, apricot preserves or marmalade
- ⅔ cup natural California pistachios, chopped
- Combine butter, sugar and egg; beat until thoroughly blended.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Spread one-half of dough into 9-inch square  pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes; remove from oven.
- Spread jam to within ½ inch of edge.
- Add pistachios to remaining dough.
- Drop by spoonfuls over jam to cover.
- Bake 35 minutes until top is golden brown; cool.
- Cut into squares.
- ↑ A 7½ x 11½ x 1¾ inch pan can be substituted