- For the dough, combine the matzo meal, cake meal, ½ cup sugar, ground almonds, cinnamon, and cloves in a medium.
- Sized bowl.
- Add the oil, egg, and ¾ cup water, and mix very well for form a stiff dough.
- Knead the dough with your hands a few times to complete the mixing.
- Evenly press the dough into a greased 8-inch-square baking pan.
- Use a knife to cut the dough into diamonds.
- First, cut the dough crosswise into about 4 even rows.
- Then make diagonal, parallel cuts through the rows, (if desired, cut the dough into squares, instead).
- Press a whole almond into the center of each piece.
- Bake the cake in a preheated 375°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until it is browned and firm.
- Meanwhile, prepare the syrup.
- Put the sugar and water into a small saucepan.
- Stir over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a boil; then boil the syrup, uncovered and undisturbed, for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the honey and lemon juice.
- Remove the syrup from the heat, and set it aside to cool slightly.
- When the cake has finished baking, remove it from the oven, and recut the pieces.
- Pour the syrup evenly over the hot cake.
- Let the cake rest for several hours to completely absorb the syrup.
- After the syrup has been absorbed, cover the cake with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store it at room temperature.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.