From the sneaky kitchen: a Quaker® Oats recipe.
- 1 cup Quaker® oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute (or 2 egg whites)
- 2 tbsp margarine, melted
- ½ tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar or heat-stable sugar substitute equal to 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray 12 medium muffin cups (plain or lined with paper liners) with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats and buttermilk.
- Mix well.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in egg substitute, margarine and lemon peel until blended.
- In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except berries; mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Gently stir in the berries.
- Fill muffin cups almost full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan.
- Serve warm.