A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup roasted blue cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sweetener
- ½ cup instant non-fat dry milk + 1½ cups water (or 1½ cups nonfat milk)
- ¼ cup egg mix + ½ cup water (or 2 eggs, well beaten)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt together.
- Add milk, oil, and eggs. Mix until smooth.
- Fill paper muffin cups ¾ full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.