- 225 g (8 oz) puff pastry
- 4 tbsp red jam
- 110 g (4 oz) ground almonds
- 110 g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 50 g (2 oz) butter, softened
- 3, eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp. almond essence
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C / 400°F / gas 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and use to line a 900 ml (1 pint) shallow pie dish.
- Knock up the edge of the pastry with the back of a knife.
- Mark the rim with the prongs of a fork.
- Brush the jam over the base.
- Chill in the refrigerator while making the filling.
- Beat the almonds with the sugar, butter, eggs and almond essence.
- Pour the filling over the jam and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Serve warm or cold with fresh cream or custard.