- 1 cup California avocados, puréed with 1½ cup fresh lime juice (about 5 limes)
- 1½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cups water
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp grated lime peel
- 9-inch baked pie shell
- meringue, given below
- In saucepan blend: sugar, cornstarch and salt: gradually stir in water.
- Stir to boil over medium heat and boil ½ minute.
- Gradually beat half of hot mixture into egg yolks: then return to saucepan.
- Stir and boil 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime peel.
- blend in avocado puree.
- Turn into pie shell.
- Top with meringue.
- Bake in 350°F (moderate) oven 10 to 15 minutes until brown.
- Allow to mellow at room temperature about 30 minutes before unmolding.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar at medium speed for 1 minute, or until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, about 1 tbsp.
- At a time, beating at high speed for 4 minutes, or until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks and sugar is dissolved.
- Immediately spread over pie, carefully seal edge to prevent shrinkage.