Pioneer and Indian Recipes by the Whitman National Historic Site, National Parks Service, US Department of the Interior, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 4 – 5 slices of buttered bread
- 1 can sweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 pint milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Line the bottom of a pudding dish with buttered bread and cover with apple sauce.
- Repeat until dish is half-full, finishing the layering with the bread on top.
- Mix eggs, milk, sugar, and salt.
- Pour this mixture over bread and sauce.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until set.
- Serve cold with cream, sugar, and nutmeg gratings or cinnamon.