Country style pie, serves 8. Nutrition information per serving protein: 2g; fat: 12g; carbohydrate: 41g; fiber: 4g; sodium: 165mg; cholesterol: 31mg; calories: 247.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 Jonagold apples, peeled, cored, quartered and each quarter cut crosswise into 4 pieces
- 2/3 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (or 1/2 cup dried cranberries soaked in boiling water 5 minutes and drained)
Pie Pastry: Combine sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon with fingertips or 2 knives until crumbly; set aside.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 5
- tablespoons chilled butter or margarine
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Combine flour, and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing to mix. Gather into disk, wrap in waxed paper, chill 1 hour.
- Roll out Pie Pastry on lightly floured surface to a 15-inch circle. Fold it gently into quarters and transfer to a large baking sheet. Unfold and arrange apples in center 10 inches of dough; sprinkle with cranberries.
- Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Bring outer edge of dough 2 1/2-inches over apples.. pleating as needed. Gently press the outside edge of dough to the pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until apples are tender. If necessary, cover with foil to prevent crust from becoming too brown.
- Cool on rack 10 minutes; serve warm.