Makes two loaves.
- 3 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup each granulated and packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1½ cups (about ½ lb or 1 large)pared, cored and finely chopped Rome Beauty apples
- ½ cup nuts
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars; beat in eggs one at a time and vanilla.
- Stir in buttermilk alternately with flour mixture.
- Fold in apples, nuts and orange peel.
- Pour into two 8½ x 4½ x 2⅝ - inch greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Wrap and let stand overnight to allow flavors to blend.