Samsa from Tunisia
- makes about 24
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- orange-flower water
- 1½ cups blanched almonds, lightly toasted and ground
- 1½ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, if liked
- about 4 oz filo pastry
- olive oil, for brushing
- lightly toasted sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Put the water and ½ cup of the sugar in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice and boil until syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and add the orange-flower water.
- Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees.
- In a mixing bowl,stir together the ground almonds, orange zest, cinnamon if using and remaining sugar, then knead together the ingredients.
- Brush one sheet of filo with olive oil, keep the other sheets covered with a damp cloth.
- Cut the oiled sheet into 3 lengthwise strips.
- Place a small spoonful of filling at the bottom of each strip.
- Fold the sides over the filling then roll the pastry up along the length.
- Brush inside the end of the pastry with oil and seal it to the roll.
- Brush with oil and put on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake the pastries for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Lower the pastries a few at a time into the hot syrup, leave for about 3 minutes so the syrup penetrates the pastries.
- The remove to a plate and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- Leave until cold before serving.