Delightful as a plain moist cake, this dessert is mouth-watering when iced with Helen's Soft Chocolate Frosting.
- Adair's Apple Raisin Cake by Adair Luciani from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: About 50 minutes
- Serves: 16
- 1¾ cup coarsely chopped apples, or drained canned pie apples, chopped
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins, soaked in warm water until plump, then drained
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Measure apples and brown sugar into bowl.
- Add oil and eggs.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well. This dough will be stiff.
- Add raisins and nuts. Stir to blend.
- Spread in 8-inch square pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until top springs back when touched. May be frozen.