2 dozen Cream Horns
Puff pastry Edit
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 3 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup ice water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled
- Cut soft butter into small pieces.
- Work butter into the flour using your fingers. Make a well in the center.
- Add ice water and work all ingredients together to form soft smooth dough.
- Roll the dough to an oblong shape ½ inch thick. The dough should be evenly thick.
- Cut cold butter into cubes and arrange evenly on the dough.
- Fold narrow sides of dough into center.
- Roll out again to rectangle shape. The butter will mix in with the dough.
- Fold the dough again and then wrap and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Repeat the same method of rolling, folding and 30 minutes chilling, 4 to 5 times. This is how the puffy layers in the dough are formed.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- At the final stage, roll out the dough to a ½ – inch thickness, and using a sharp knife, cut long strips about ¼ inch wide.
- Wrap around the cream horn mold (cannoli molds).
- Keep baking tray chilled before putting puffed pastry dough on.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until puffy and golden. Cool before filling.
- In large bowl, whip egg whites until stiff, gradually adding sugar.
- Add a few s of lemon juice for flavour.
- Fill cream horns, using pastry bag.
- Keep in refrigerator until serving.